Losing a tooth can be an emotional experience. Depending on the location, a missing tooth can make it challenging to speak and eat normally. Fortunately, tooth loss does not have to be the end of a beautiful, healthy smile.
At Humble Dentistry, our team is dedicated to finding a solution for missing teeth that works best for you. Many of our patients choose implants because they offer an optimal solution for the long-term maintenance of a happy, healthy smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dr. Robert Appel designs dental implants with advanced, durable materials that match your existing teeth in both color and shape so they blend in perfectly. Since dental implants replace the entire tooth, including the root, your dental implant is a stable option that will not shift or move.
Additionally, dental implants provide a number of health benefits:
- Bone retention – Dental implants are made of titanium, which has proven to be biocompatible. This encourages natural bone to grow tightly around the implant (osseointegration) and prevents loss of bone (resorption).
- Stability – As the bone heals, it grows tightly around the implant.
- Bite preservation – The dental implant crown fills the space left by your natural tooth and keeps the adjacent teeth from shifting. Dental implants can replace one tooth, multiple teeth, or an entire arch.
- Security – Dental implants stay put and will not move or shift.
- Implant-supported dentistry – Patients with multiple missing teeth may choose implant-supported bridges or implant-supported dentures for improved reliability.
Dental Implant Treatment
Dr. Appel has completed hundreds of hours of dental implant training and is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. His dedication to continuing education allows us to provide this advanced treatment for our patients.
Precise evaluation and planning is an essential part of the process to determine if enough quality bone exists to support a dental implant and the force from chewing. Additional treatments, such as bone grafting or a sinus lift, make it possible for patients with bone loss to proceed with dental implant treatment confidently.
Using pre-planned guides, Dr. Appel will place the dental implant in the ideal location, ensuring your comfort every step of the way.
Healing and integration take approximately 3 to 6 months to complete. Your dental implant and bone will grow together during this time.
Restoration with a dental implant crown is the final phase of treatment. Each crown is sculpted from porcelain for a customized fit. Our goal is for your final implant to look like a natural part of your smile.
Caring for Dental Implants
For single dental implants, care is similar to what is required by your natural teeth:
- Brushing twice daily
- Flossing between each tooth – including your implant
- Regular dental exams and x-rays
- Professional dental cleanings
It’s always a good idea to avoid biting into anything too hard, like ice or hard candy, because it can damage your crown or your natural teeth.
Do You Have Missing Teeth?
Contact our dental office, located in Humble, Texas, to learn more about available tooth-replacement options. Our personal approach to dentistry helps patients achieve their goals for their oral health and smiles. We look forward to welcoming you.